Shortbread is one of my favourite things to bake because, not only is it completely delicious, but it’s also so simple and uses so few ingredients. Here’s my take on shortbread biscuits which are perfect for Valentine’s Day.
What You Need
- 175g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 110g butter, cut into small chunks
- 2-3 tbsps milk
- Half tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- White chocolate and sprinkles for decorating
What You Do
- Sift the flour into a bowl and stir in the sugar
- Add the butter and rub into the flour mixture until breadcrumb stage
- In a separate jug, add the vanilla extract (if using) into the milk and stir
- Add the milk to the flour mixture only a few drops at a time until the biscuit mixture is just wet enough to form a dough
- Turn out onto a well floured work surface and knead very gently for only a minute or two.
- Roll out until the thickness of a pound coin before cutting into shapes. By definition, the dough is incredibly short and crumbly (which is what gives it that amazing texture when cooked) so take your time rolling and cutting out, keeping your surface well floured at all times.
- Put the biscuits on a greased baking tray and bake in the oven at Gas Mark 3/4 for 15-20 minutes until they just begin changing colour (it is very easy to overcook shortbread – as you can see from some of mine! – and lose it’s lovely pale colour so make sure you keep a close eye on them).
- Once the biscuits are completely cooled, decorate with melted chocolate & sprinkles (I used this really pretty pink shimmer sugar)
Naughty Nibble/Perfect For Kids/Perfect For Entertaining
- Why not add other flavours to your shortbread like coconut extract or fillings like chocolate chips, raisins or glacier cherries
- Packaged up in a pretty box or bag, these biscuits would also make a great homemade gift
For more sweet treat recipes, check out my baking pages.
Create Your Perfect Valentine’s Day At Home
3 comments on “White Chocolate Dipped Shortbread”
These are so cute! I know my boyfriend will love them, thank you for sharing! x
You’re welcome, happy baking! x
Oh my…. wow!! These look and sound amazing. Thanks for sharing the recipe 🙂 x