It may not be as healthy as the traditional spinach but if you’re not a big lover of greens this slightly spicy chorizo alternative is really delicious.
What You Need
- Cannelloni tubes
- A few handfuls of cheddar cheese, grated
For the filling:
- Chorizo sausage, finely diced (I buy the pre-chopped kind for ease)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Tbsp Worcester sauce
- 2 tsps of dried oregano
- 1 tub of ricotta cheese
For the tomato sauce:
- Small carton of passata
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Handful of fresh or 2 tsps dried basil
What You Do
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6
- Fry all the filling ingredients, except the ricotta, in a little olive oil for a couple of minutes until the onion has softened
- Pour into a bowl and allow to cool for a few minutes before adding the ricotta, stir well.
- Using a teaspoon, stuff the cannelloni tubes one by one, being careful not to crack them and beginning lining them up in a long, rectangular casserole dish in a single layer. This part can be time consuming but it’s worth it.
- Heat a little more oil in a small saucepan and fry the remaining garlic until softened
- Add the passata, basil and paprika and simmer for a few minutes
- Pour the tomato sauce over the top of the stuffed cannelloni and sprinkle generously with cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 mins on medium or until the pasta is cooked and the sauce is bubbling.
Tips & Tags
*ideal for entertaining/naughty nibble/confort food/perfect for kids*
- Why not experiment with other cannelloni fillings – such as chicken & sweetcorn or pulled pork & BBQ sauce?
- Leftovers? Reheat the next day for a more intense flavour.
For more easy family recipe ideas, check out the Recipe Roundup page.
BBQ Sausage, Bacon & Bean Summer Stew
One comment on “Chorizo & Ricotta Cannelloni”
This looks really good but I like your idea of using pulled pork & BBQ sauce better so, we’re definitely going to try that. Also, I like your term naughty nimble — it just sounds so right. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.