I just love the look & feel of wooden toys and games, they always feel so much stronger than their plastic counterparts and I love the retro element. Wood and Wonder are a great brand for all things wooden and we loved the wooden dinosaur mosaic we reviewed last year.
Today we’re reviewing this fab ladder stacking game. Caterpillar is obsessed with games and we spend most of our time choosing games over toys at the moment so I thought this ladder game was a perfect new challenge for him.
- Wooden base
- 20 wooden ladders, in 5 colours
What did we love?
- The fun, bright colours and unique concept. The game is similar to classics like Kerplunk! but requires more skill and creativity
- Encourages lateral thinking and logic
- You can make up your own games! I’m always a fan of children thinking outside the box and after we’d had a few games of ladder stacking Caterpillar decided he wanted to use the ladders for sorting and counting too. I even decided to use the opportunity to capitalise on his attention and practice some basic addition and subtraction with the coloured ladder pieces. Bonus!
What did we learn?
- Basic construction concepts – solid base etc
- Balancing & support
- Independent play – after we’d finished playing Caterpillar got the set out on his own to practice
The game is aimed at 4+ and I will say it is a little tricky at first – even for adults! But after some perseverance you get to learn how best to lay the ladders and Caterpillar was able to play with less frustration.
One of the many things I like about Wood and Wonder is the low pricepoint. This game is under £10 so perfect for a stocking filler or birthday party present.
Would you like to win your own stacking ladders game? Simply enter the giveaway below. Or to find out more about the Wood and Wonder range visit www.woodandwonder.co.uk.
Disclosure: we received this game in exchange for an honest review. Words & opinions are all my own.